AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Nat Gas or 3 phase more important for grain setup?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

E718
Posted 11/26/2015 10:08 (#4919939 - in reply to #4919835)
Subject: RE: Nat Gas or 3 phase more important for grain setup?

Sac & Story county IA
Do what you want for long term. Somehow, my grain bin area got to be 36 years since I started building. Handy to get tools and check dryer would be my first recommendation.
The first talk you need is to the power company. The line may or may not have the power on it, available. Natural gas would always be cheaper than propane. But you must find out if there is adequate gas available on that point on the line.
Don't worry much about 3 phase, that can be made if you have 5 amps of 240 volt single phase for each horsepower. So, if the power company can provide you with 400 amps or 600 to 800 would be better. A phase converter is just a 3 phase motor running with no load and some capacitors to balance phases. And a way to start motor. Usually a motor twice the size of largest motor is used for idler. I have a 30 hp load motor running on 30 hp idler, so not critical.

Just think a long way out into the future and make things serviceable, handy, secure for somebody swiping grain, motors, VFDs, etc.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)