AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2nd grader having trouble reading
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

boa628
Posted 11/13/2015 17:58 (#4894930 - in reply to #4894758)
Subject: RE: 2nd grader having trouble reading

SWOH
I should have stated that differently. He is a very logical. He is very literal in his reading as far as trying to sound out words. He wants to say the letter sounds as they look. I'm fairly certain he doesn't have Aspergers or ADHD or anything like that. He does have a hard time sitting still but he is capable of focusing also, so I don't think he has ADHD. When we first started sight words with him last year I explained to him that the reason they wanted him to memorize the sight words was because they are commonly used words and a lot of them don't make any sense if you try to sound them out. Some of them aren't bad to sound out but a lot of them don't make any sense. He knows very well that with a lot of words that there is no logic between the way they sound and the way they are spelled. He remarks on that often. We're trying to get him away from trying to sound everything out and working a lot on recognition and phonics. He's just really inconsistent, sometimes he does great and sometimes he acts like he's never seen the words before.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)