AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2nd grader having trouble reading
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

nks
Posted 11/12/2015 17:11 (#4892884 - in reply to #4892834)
Subject: RE: 2nd grader having trouble reading

NW KS
I'm no expert, and some of this advice draws from different things besides learning to read but I feel they apply

Make sure he is reading books he actually enjoys.
If he starts getting frustrated, take a quick stretch break and walk around a little or something. No one works well when frustrated.
Don't set unrealistic expectations. Progress is progress, might be slower than what you would like but as long as it is in the right direction it is still progress. If you are doing everything you can, don't let a teacher make you feel bad about it. You are still the parent.
Make sure he doesn't have vision issues (im sure already done).
Make sure he knows when he did a good job. Don't be overly negative or get in fights.
I'm a firm believer you can do whatever you want and some kids just learn at a different pace/time. Just keep practicing, encouraging, be positive, and progress towards the goal of being a fluent reader, whenever it happens.
Realize just because he can't read well in grade school doesn't doom him for life. My wife was an admitted poor reader as an adult, and then started reading more and more and has improved significantly as an adult.
Take a weekend off and just do fun stuff. Don't hammer it down his throat every second of every day. Happy medium between adequate practice and burning a kid out.
I assume your school has some sort of additional help for reading (could be utilizing already?). Don't be afraid to have your kid utilize the assistance, even though most have the fear of being "labeled". The help is there to be used, and those are individuals that have specific training in strategies to develop readers.
It sounds like you are on the right track. Hopefully you get other more educated suggestions here than what I can offer.

Remain as positive as possible. Good luck!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)