AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Value of breeding pigs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ben5398
Posted 8/26/2015 08:17 (#4753844 - in reply to #4753799)
Subject: RE: Value of breeding pigs

Central Illinois
I looked into the GAP thing around Illinois, it is not a big thing "here" I found a group in Missouri, but I promise the prices you are getting will not fly "here". If I am wrong someone can correct me. The group in Missouri would not even be willing to tell me anything beyond they attempt to price things so each market hog nets the seller $50 profit. That did not fly with me as they would not tell me the actual price they were paying and they said it was possible you would make less or more depending on your efficiency. No matter how hard I pressed they would not tell me what they were paying. They also required 100 sows. I did not feel this really equaled the spirit of a buyer group and went looking elsewhere for a more transparent group. I did not find one that used GAP, so being that you are in Colorado and your state has some pretty progressive areas I would guess that is what is driving GAP. Chicago is progressive they just have not caught on I guess.

I started purchasing some Berks to add to my small operation last spring. I can get a premium for them but nothing like you are getting. Run of the mill Berk gilts usually bring 3-400, I would not want to pay much more than that for a proven sow maybe 500 (3rd parity and under), and would really not want to pay that for one that is 4 years old. "Here" I have found Berk weaner pigs I can get 75-80, when I finish them out I will likely get a little more than half of what you are getting marketed.

I am not gap, though had the market been here I would have gone for it. I will say personally I don't like some of the GAP consepts. I like farrowing crates for the birthing process. I move them to a pen that would be gap certified after day 5-7. I let my sows out of the crate once or twice a day time permitting. I am currently doing an experiment as you suggested by not clipping needle teeth with one of my commercial litters. So far I am not seeing a difference

(Back to the crate deal, I moved my last litter early (3days) as I needed the crate for another litter and that night my best boar was layed on, I know it can happen in a crate just more likely in a pen).

I wish you the best, always enjoy your posts. You must be doing great if you actually are considering cutting back at those prices. Personally I'd be quitting my day job with that kind of margin.

Edited by ben5398 8/26/2015 09:06
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)