AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Value of breeding pigs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

chadincolo
Posted 8/26/2015 00:43 (#4753563)
Subject: Value of breeding pigs

Lander, WY
You guys know our family has been through some massive changes in the last 6-7 months, and about a month back my wife got a new job that is requiring a lot of travel, but which pays very well. Now that the kids are back into school and sports, and it just being me here a lot, and running our pig operation it has become overwhelming. While they are a great money maker, due to my wife's current pay and some other things, it's no longer critical that we have the extra income, so we are going to pull the numbers way back, probably keep the kids' 2 sows, farrow them together and let them feed those, and I'll keep the feed sales going, finish feeding out what we have (about 6 months) then hopefully be slowed down some and gain a touch of sanity.

So I have someone wanting to get into the same GAP berkshire program who is very interested in buying my breeding herd, but I need to put a price on them. I know what replacement gilts cost as a base value, but I have pigs from 7 months old ready to breed for the first time, to some good 2nd parity, to some about 4 years old who are proven mothers that work in the GAP requirements. Also from farrowed 2 weeks ago, to just bred, to a month from farrowing, giving the buyer a nice spread of stages. How the heck do I put a price on them that's fair to both of us?

Replacement gilts will cost $400-600 by the time you get them from Iowa or Illinois to here. Berk weaners here will bring $150-200, raised in the GAP program the fats will be $5-600 pigs at 6 months old. Definitely a niche market, but a very well established and lucrative one.

Sorry for the long post, obviously some tangled thoughts in my head. A big part of wanting to slow down and enjoy life is the pain of losing one child, and wanting to make sure we don't blink and have 2 adult kids and wonder where life went...

(20141207_111014.jpg)

(20150114_162301.jpg)

(20150812_160616.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20141207_111014.jpg (181KB - 768 downloads)
Attachments 20150114_162301.jpg (99KB - 747 downloads)
Attachments 20150812_160616.jpg (132KB - 729 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)