AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I've about had it with wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

sed
Posted 6/25/2015 23:29 (#4646445 - in reply to #4644950)
Subject: RE: I've about had it with wheat

southwest illinois
Mike

I gave up in the 1990's trying to push my wheat yields and I couldn't care less now what APH means

My focus is maintaining and improving my 15+ years of double crop beans which is right at 40 bpa

I used to get disgusted with SDS reducing full season soybean yields.....so wheat diversifies my soybean portfolio

I really don't pay much attention what my long term average wheat yields are........but I do know

1. High nitrogen rates on wheat postpones maturity and slows harvest if wheat goes down
2. Fungicide applications postpones maturity also
3. Fungi evolve resistance to fungicide faster than insects evolve resistance to insecticide

So my wheat crop is just plain old basic ag science from high school supplemented with the 1994 edition of Illinois Agronomy Handbook and lifetime of experience of our local soils/climate

Insert your costs to my current wheat management
1. Disk soybean stubble
2. Drill 2 bpa bin run blend 1/2 bearded and 1/2 smooth wheat (Diverse disease resistance)
3. Scout and spray harmony as Needed
4. Topdress blend 150lb DAP and 150 lb AMS
5. Discard the effluent from the unloading auger to the nearest merchandizer who's going to blend it with even more disgusting effluent and make a profit
6. Take checks to the bank 2 weeks later after assessing a nice stand of double crop beans
7. I still end up with enough money to pay my dues to Illinois Wheat Association......HAHAHA....end of long rant
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)