AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for those that have moved away
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

hinfarm
Posted 5/26/2015 08:00 (#4591613 - in reply to #4586060)
Subject: RE: Question for those that have moved away

Amherst WI
I grew up in SE WI. I had 200 acres I was running down there at one time. I moved up here in 2005 because my wife was from this area and she didn't want to move away from her family. There was not much chance of growth and I HATED and I mean HATED the job I had at the coop down there. The backstabbing with tennnent and landlords seemed more previlant down there than up here too.

I found a "home" farm to rent for a few years and after the fourth year the owner who never farmed in his life wanted to farm it himself, so be it. We had to find another place at that time and ended up buying what we own now. It is a much better farm than what were renting, soils in the this neighborhood are much better. During all this this I was working as a customer applicator/salesman for a private fertilizer dealer. The relationships I made there got me into most of the land I have now from guys who were quitting, retiring or just had tennents who weren't paying the rent as I didn't want to be the new guy stepping on toes.

I can see how it would be hard to stay someplace that you have 300+ years of history with. It was hard to see my grandpa's farm sell too and that was only in the family for 55 years or so but farming where your at isn't going to get any better and you might as well get out while your young and get started some place now so you can buld something up your going to have for a while.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)