AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Another coyote question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ernie
Posted 4/28/2015 10:48 (#4542439 - in reply to #4542043)
Subject: RE: Another coyote question--They kill livestock here.

North End I-15
A old Trapper here told me he was geting large coyotes that apeared to be dog cross . Said they were more aggressive than the small coyote . He is long gone now but I believe what he told me of dog cross coyotes .
When my Airedale Jack was around the coyotes pretty much left the yard alone . Out in the far fields they would gang up trying to get him off over a hill in the brush . He was too smart for that . Seen him run one to a stand still in a 300 acre field . We were out spraying and Jack was riding shotgun . When the coyote popped out of a fence line by a brushy coulee . The chase was on , the coyote would try to lure Jack in to the brush where it's partner was waiting . If they get the dog in the brush the two of them will ham string a dog. Jack kept working the coyote towards the middle of the field . finally they both sat down about 10 yards apart tounges hanging to thier knees . I put Jack in the truck watered him down , coyote went back over the hill .

I still miss that Dog .He was a good dog , protective to a fault , but gentle with the grandkids .

I had a blue healer that almost got tagged by a pair of coyotes .
Back in those days we still summerfallowed mechanicaly . The healer was always with me on the tractor or running along. On one mile long wheat strip a coyote popped out to play tag with ERF (dogs name ) it kept trying to lead it off in to the nearly waist high wheat . With ERF her zone was about 50 yards from the tractor . Any thing in that territory got chased off . When I got to the end of the field there was a brushy draw that the coyote dove in to , Erf dashed after it . I stopped the tractor grabed a 3 lb hammer and in to the brush I went . There were 2 yotes trying to ham string the healer . WhenI showed up I piched the hammer at the closest yote . They both broke off and left .Erf got in the tractor and decided coyotes were for looking not chasing. :>)
I never did find the hammer in the buck brush .
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)