AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Another coyote question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

oldbones
Posted 4/27/2015 21:11 (#4541501)
Subject: Another coyote question

Floyd County, Iowa
Please bear with me on the occassional questions about these vermin, but I'm learning and trying to wage war on them. Never saw one around here until last year.
Been up around the building site. We lock the dogs in the attached garage at night, and when the 'yotes are around, doing their bark/yip/yowl thing, the dogs go nuts. Shined a good flashlight out the window. Saturday night and saw eyes. And could hear them doing their thing. They stayed out about 80 yds, but not enough flashlight to see them in the AR scope. Obviously going to get a better light. They left after about 1/2 hour.
How deep are their dens? I have a small pocket of light ground on a slight sidehill where foxes used to dig years ago. Foxes are gone now, at least I haven't seen any for years. Now something is digging in the area again, and the hole is about the size of a volleyball, maybe a bit bigger. I went out with the loader a couple days ago and filled the hole in and packed it down. Next day it was dug out again, and tracks are definately canine, smaller than my dogs' prints, but bigger than a fox. About the size of a half-dollar.
Tried sitting in a fenceline and calling with a rabbit call, but got nothing.
Thinking about taking the waterwagon out there and putting the 2" hose down the hole and using 12 gauge on whatevet comes out. Worked for a badger in the grove a few years ago. Would that work? I know I can't get rid of all of them, but want to do my part.
What say you?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)