AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Smoking a pork butt
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Herkster5
Posted 4/20/2015 11:37 (#4527149 - in reply to #4525944)
Subject: RE: Smoking a pork butt

Clay SEIA - 4/19/2015 20:19

Others are correct, you will need to get to somewhere between 185-200 degrees F meat temperature before a pork butt breaks down and becomes tender enough to pull.  That's not an exact science, every one will be different- but somewhere in that range it will happen.  And, don't set your self up with a strict deadline.  It's better to have it completely cooked and then foil it and let it rest than to try and rush getting it done.  

First, that picture looks amazing.
And second, you are spot on in my experience (probably have 500+ lbs of smoked pulled pork under my belt, if not more)
You can smoke at 225, it'll take awhile, 1.5 hours per pound usually. Smoke til 190-205 internal temp, then wrap, and let it rest.

I smoke mine at 275, no foil, because I like that dark, crunchy bark, and I get closer to an hour a pound doing it that way. It is all personal preference.
For your first time, I'd foil when the butt gets to 160 degree internal temp (this is where the butt will "stall" while breaking down connective tissues), and then either finish in the oven or on the smoker. If done right, which it is pretty hard to mess up a butt, you'll be in love. A lot more forgiving than smoking ribs!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)