AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Smoking a pork butt
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

WesterOne
Posted 4/19/2015 17:18 (#4525411 - in reply to #4525219)
Subject: RE: Smoking a pork butt

Canmore Ab. Canada
Here is a thread from a while back.
http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=521419&posts=1... pork&highlightmode=1#M4254314
Dan...

Pulled pork is one of my favorite things to do. Here is briefly how I do it.
You need pork butt. That is the front shoulder usually with the blade bone in it.
I rub mine about a day ahead with a Big Bold BBQ Rub I make of mostly Paprika and sugar and a few other spices like onion, garlic, and the likes. I apply mustard as a sticker. Mustard disappears. I liberally rub the roast and wrap it and place it in the fridge for about a day.
Pull it out of the fridge for a few hours and then place on the traeger at about 220-225. Apple is my favorite wood on pork.
I use a squirt bottle with apple juice about every 30 minutes to keep the meat moist. After about 6 hours you should be at about 160 degrees in the meat. At this point you can put the meat in a roaster with just enough apple juice so it is not dry and finish it in the oven as smoking is about done. You could also put it in a covered foil pan and finish it on the traeger.
You need about 195 to 200 to finish the meat. This melts the connective tissues and makes the meat super tender. When you put the thermometer in it will take a little effort. When the meat is done the thermometer will slide in with no effort. This will take an additional 5-6 hours at 220 but you can turn it up some to accelerate the process. maybe 250.
Skim fat off the juices and save the juices. You will be able to lift out the blade bone with two fingers. Pull the pork. Re add the juices to the mix. People can add their favorite sauce. The one I like best is a Club House brand slow cooker bbq pulled pork in a small pouch.

Good Luck Dan...

Make all the pork you have room for as it will disappear. It also freezes great in the pulled form.

I added a pic from my green egg. It reminds me to say I keep a shallow pan of water in the bbq to help keep the pork moist.

Edited by WesterOne 4/19/2015 17:23

(Pulled Pork.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Pulled Pork.jpg (155KB - 156 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)