AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sidedress NH3
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NEILFarmer
Posted 1/28/2015 20:10 (#4345829 - in reply to #4345413)
Subject: RE: Sidedress NH3

Morris, IL
Yeah, relatives who we farm very closely with and own some equipment with had the shoes. I forget how long he had them but it was 5-10 years so they weren't terrible but over time he kept complaining of doubles and skips (dragged seed). Started really looking into it and determined that over short amount of time bean residue was building on them and you get the idea. I think he tried getting them razor sharp and that worked but only lasted few acres. Went to UMO and no problems anymore. Neither are perfect and both affect the row unit but i consider the UMO better option for that close but not in furrow starter. In some conditions i was finding the same thing with keetons, this year i'm going to try some mojo wires, low pro keetons, and if that doesn't work i'm taking them off fast as i can. They are doing more damage then good if they are dragging seed.

We have Drummer and Drummer like soils, i'd think you have dealer with it somewhere along your travels, http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detail/il/soils/?cid=nrcs1... We have some farms that are called Gumbo by locals in this area, high clay soils. They have different challenges and sure make our Drummer look good but both work up lumpy and a pain to work with. But in July when we miss few rains we can still get over 200 bushel in the Drummer and the Gumbo is 1/2 that. Not sure where i'm going with all this.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)