AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sidedress NH3
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jocoshar23
Posted 1/27/2015 19:44 (#4343117 - in reply to #4342278)
Subject: RE: Sidedress NH3

SE IA
steelguitar - 1/27/2015 11:47

I am looking to switching the majority of my N application from UAN to NH3. UAN is more expensive and seems to be more volatile compared to NH3.

I would like to sidedress my NH3 as the main source of N, I know other out there do this with success - what is your plan?

We typically put 4-5 gal of 10-34-0 in furrow with planter. Would that be enough N to get me to when the N from the NH3 would be available? If my yield goal is 200 bushel, how far can I cut my sidedress NH3 and get good results? To me, it is the most efficient way of applying N, so I should be able to back it off some.

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

NH3 is more volitale than UAN if you don't get it sealed. I wouldn't dream of putting out 4 to 5 pounds of N with planter and waiting until side dress for bulk of N. Side dressing is the most efficient way to apply N but it doesn't necessarily mean you can cut rates and achieve same yields. Some years maybe others maybe not.

We have went to side dress to be more efficient with the N timing. If 150# preplant could produce 175 bushel, we hoped by sidedressing 1/3 to 1/2 of that could help us grow 185 bushel with that 150#. We wouldn't do it if we didn't think it made us money.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)