AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

fertilizer dilemma
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

bsfarms
Posted 1/28/2015 07:13 (#4344089 - in reply to #4341586)
Subject: RE: fertilizer dilemma

south central WI

Everyone seems to be saying apply.  I would look at soil tests.  If they are high or excessive, why waste the money?  We have been applying or over applying to build soil tests during the high profit years so we could save on fertilizer in the low price years.  This is a low profit year so use some up if you have it banked.  No P and K application this year will not drop your soil test significantly if they are high.  Also you say 170 bu without and 230 with on a perfect year.  What about a perfect year without?  would that raise to 190-200?  You know your soils better than us.  If they are mid range, apply half.  If they are high, apply none to 1/3.  Either way, I would do some test strips so in future years you will know what happens. 

as far as next years beans, they will scavenge to find nutrients or you can apply fertilizer next year.  It's your soil, your farm, and your future.  Do what you think needs to be done, don't worry if neighbors think you are mining your soils.

Personally I am applying a slightly lower rate on farther soils and much lower rate on nearby soils.  Nearby has had manure applied frequently and we are doubling our herd so it will get more manure in the future so I am trying to lower the test a little so I can apply as wanted later.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)