AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hauling milk years ago. (Pic)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Robert W Greif
Posted 9/30/2014 20:12 (#4101790 - in reply to #4101132)
Subject: RE: Hauling milk years ago. (Pic)

Dallas Center IA 515-720-2463
Our milk truck came once a day, about the time we got the morning milking done.
Remember Dad not letting the driver load until the morning cans had been in the cooler awhile. Truck was early.

The cans had numbers painted on them. Thinking one was the route number, the other the farmer on that route.
You owned two sets of cans. One at the farm, the other at the diary.

Dirty milk cans were something the milk inspector looked for. Milkstone??

I was just about 16 years old when the cows left. I do remember putting the cans in the cooler. But my brother did it most of the time.

Also think you could have a winch and swinging boom for the job. Bet that would have taken a lot of time.
Just saw that deal in ads. Never saw one.

The first milk house was a separate building about 75' from the barn door.
There was a two wheel deal with a long handle and a hook. Get the hook under one of the hand holds and wheel the can to the milk house.
There was a pit for storing the cans overnight. Water in the pit. I think the windmill pumped fresh water in and the old warm water ran out.
Not sure.
This was before I helped milk.

New milk house about 1950. Attached to the barn. Had what we called a breezeway with a door at each end connecting the barn and the milk house.

We had a milk cooler in the new milk house. International Harvestor.
Really think the cooler was in the old smaller milk house for awhile, I remember moving it.
In later years we had a second cooler.
I remember pulling the evening milking cans out to put the morning cans in for some cooling.

We were Grade A. The milk cans were not suppose to be in the barn where the cows were. That meant after each cow was milked a trip to the milk house to dump the milk into the strainer deal on top of the can.

But I remember that we put cans in the barn to milk the first ten cows in the west row of stanchions.
For the north row of stanchions the milkers were carried thru the breezeway for dumping.
I moved the in the barn cans to the milk house with that two wheel cart.
Then back to the west stanchions for the third group of cows. If very many, cans in the barn again.
pssss - Hope that old milk inspector is not reading this.

Like the diary farmer the milk truck was a every day job, seven days a week, 365 days a year.
Pretty sure there were some snow days, but I do not remember the truck not getting there before evening milking.

The cows left just before we were to get a bulk tank. I think Dad wanted to get a pipeline milker and a bulk tank system, but with my brother having to go to the army he decided not to.

I do remember the bulk tank was to be a every other day pickup deal. Plus we were to have enough room in the tank for three days milk. Just in case of a storm closing the roads.

And I remember Mom saying the hogs make lots of money sometimes, but the milk cows made money all the time.
And that milk check the driver left every week or maybe two was nice.

Also 1955, 56 and 57 were not very good years. Low grain prices, low hog prices and dry weather at the same time.
Many farmers got town jobs to tide them over.
But because of that milk check, the folks paid the IRS all those years.

Found pictures of both milkhouses, but not very good.
Top - Behind the 36 A is the first one. It was used to store bag feed in it's later years.

Lower pic behind my present landlord in her younger days and behind the John Deere 70 and New Idea SuperPicker is the new milkhouse. Still used to store junk.

(home -3-.jpg)

(home 1963.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments home -3-.jpg (94KB - 286 downloads)
Attachments home 1963.jpg (140KB - 281 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)