AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hauling milk years ago. (Pic)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

OntarioCanuck
Posted 9/30/2014 12:54 (#4101161 - in reply to #4101132)
Subject: RE: Hauling milk years ago. (Pic)

North of London
I do not remember trains but cream was picked up in 'Cream Pails' once a week when I was young.
Stored in the cool of the basement and the man doing the pickup would just walk into the house and down the steps and lug 2 of those 'Cream Pails; up the stairs at a time to load on the truck.
Cream pails looked different from the Milk Cans in your picture.

Those shipping whole milk had a stand at the gate built to the height of the truck and they were picked up everyday from that stand so the farmer had to haul them to the gate and place them on the stand before the truck came by.
After the milk was placed in the milk cans the cash were put into a tank of water to cool it until just before the milk truck was to come along.

Milk was delivered to a dairy in the local town and bottled in glass bottles and delivered to the houses each day or at least every other day as it was not pasteurized.
Refrigeration was new and not everyone had a refrigerator so milk would be stored in an ice box in the summer or the basement where it was cooler in colder weather.

Lots of hard work in those days and amazing that the milk kept as well as it did without even pasteurization.

I would guess the train would be delivering that to a larger urban area rather than the small towns I was familiar with.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)