AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hauling milk years ago. (Pic)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Illinois John
Posted 9/30/2014 16:44 (#4101399 - in reply to #4101243)
Subject: RE: Hauling milk years ago. (Pic)

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

boog - 9/30/2014 12:56 One of the strongest guys I knew use to pick up milk at the farm ba k when it was shippedin those can. He would carry a can in each hand and thrpw them up on thr truck that way.

I hauled milk that way while working myself through college.  It took a couple of years before I learned the tricks of handling the cans, most of it is getting a swing going.  I did develop more muscle, but was never that strong, just learned how to swing the cans and use the momentum to get them where they needed to go.  Those cans weighed over 100 pounds filled.  After two years or so, I finally could walk to the truck with two filled cans and swing them on the truck without letting go of the other one.

I also fractured a disk in my back decking the truck, as the first can up we had to reach below our feet to the handles to set it on the upper deck.  I forgot to bend my knees and was in a lot of pain for some time.  Later, when getting a physical for factory work, the Doctor told me I had broken my back and it had healed itself.  I knew immediatly when it happened after Doc told me about the x-ray.

Those were great days, traveled many miles and visited with the greatest farmers in the world for short paragraph statements that often continued with the same subject each time I saw each dairyman.  Driving that truck taught me a lot about many things, but that was the end of an era, as after I stopped doing that almost everyone went to bulk tanks.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)