AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hauling milk years ago. (Pic)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Red Paint
Posted 9/30/2014 18:42 (#4101562 - in reply to #4101132)
Subject: RE: Hauling milk years ago. (Pic)

SW “Ohia”
My late grandfather was a dairy field man for many decades. Started out with the state of Ohio in the 1950's, moved to Cincinnati Milk Sales, which became Milk Marketing, which then became Dairy Farmers of America. Retired and passed away in 2005.

We have a couple of old cream cans around here that he snagged from the French-Bauer Dairy that used to be in downtown Cincinnati on Central Parkway. Closed up in the 1970's. Lot of dairy history in this area, but only a handful remaining today.

The Cincinnati, Georgetown & Portsmouth interurban railroad used to haul milk/cream cans from out here on the eastside into the city and drop them at the many different dairy outfits. The railroad was shuttered around 1950, which coincided with the adoption of bulk tanks in this area. Grandpa said there were some farmers that kept using cans into the '70's, but they were a minority who simply refused to switch to bulk.

I remember riding with Grandpa inspecting farms when I was younger, and some OLD milkhouses still had bath tanks for cans. Some were built into the side of a hill where a natural spring came out, and the spring fed the bath. Very interesting to see the engineering that was put into those building hundreds of years ago.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)