AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any one else with back problems?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

BigNorsk
Posted 9/15/2014 09:50 (#4075428 - in reply to #4073066)
Subject: RE: Any one else with back problems?

Rolla, ND
It kind of depends on what the problem is.

If it's the back goes out and the whole thing turns into a painful knot for days until it gets back in. That's one thing. Disk rupture another and arthritis still another.

Assuming it's the back goes out and the muscles get really angry and clamp the whole thing down so it can't go back into place. I had a real bad one in the lower back. What happened was it went out in the fall and it was out all winter and the chiropractor popped and popped but couldn't get it back in. Gave up, went soil sampling in the spring, the constant bouncing got it loose enough so the second day I could feel it just slowly move back into place.

Well that set me up for problems because it was about as likely to go out as stay in.

Here was what I learned from that.

First, the most dangerous moment was the first move in the morning when you are totally relaxed. It was so easy to take the back out at that moment.

One very important skill was learning how to get out of bed. Let say you are on the right side, you roll on your right side, putting your right elbow on the bed and grabbing your right hand/wrist with your left, then you push down with both hands while rolling your legs off and getting vertical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgDKqQ1rmhk is a video, uses a slightly different way with the arms but you get the idea, use your arms to raise your upper body not torque on the back.

It sounds almost silly but I can't tell you how much agony that saved.

Then had a doctor with a terrible back teach me how to put my lower back in. First thing is the stretching, you can't get it to go in if the muscles are too tight, though if it just happened, good chance you don't need to stretch.

One was put both hands palm up on the table. Stand where you would to put your head in your hands. Put the one foot back and slowly put your head into your hands, if you can. The straight leg can really pull, the tight side is the side that's out. Do both sides.

Or, doggy style on floor, just kind of push butt to one side slowly and then other. Due to weight possible to tear doing that one so be careful.

Then when stretched, you stand straight (easy to say) with feet shoulder width and make sure feet, pelvis, shoulders are make nice straight column. Put hands on hip. Raise one over head and lean towards hand on hip. Make a nice C shape. Hand on hip can even help push hips a bit. The idea is to open up that side of spine, if you are straight, it will now be straight. Slowly go back to straight, put had back on hips and then tilt shoulders back and hips forward to lock. Then do same on other side. I usually do good side first, bad second.

Wait about an hour, do it again. Maybe third time an hour after that if it's being stubborn.

Do the whole put it back as soon after it goes out as you can. The idea is to keep it in place, don't give muscles time to set up.

Then the whole back exercise thing to strengthen back and stomach or you are pretty much just wasting time waiting for it to get worse. If you keep it in and do the exercises, very good chance you get much better.

Now I can type this but it probably reads like Greek. You need to find someone who can show you and help you. In most places that is a physical therapist. Most doctors don't know though some osteopaths sure do. Chiropractors are very variable, some just seem to want to do adjustments. Their idea seems to be if they adjust you, you will be straight, mine is if you are straight, you will be adjusted. Anyway, you might be able to be helped by the chiro. They sure can help get it back in, but if that's all they do, you both are just waiting for the next time.

Best chance is a physical therapist, they will at least know the exercises and should be able to teach you to get out of bed. The putting your back back in yourself, probably not.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)