AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hydraulic basket rake verses a Darf wheel rake. A long post.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 8/31/2014 10:14 (#4048370 - in reply to #4044256)
Subject: RE: Hydraulic basket rake verses a Darf wheel rake. A long post.

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
You have to trade the tires out on those new Kuhn rakes. I don't know why, but they are sold with a 205/75 tire. Schwabs will trade them out for new 225 or 235/75's for $50. It raises the rake up 3/4-1". Makes a completely different rake out of it.

I bought a new one and didn't know that, I almost got rid of it since I couldn't get it to rake like all the other ones I'd used. I'm surprised Kuhn hasn't done something, it is impossible to level them right and keep the wheels off of the ground the way they are. With different tires, they just graze the stubble. I know one reason why they are so popular is that they are so easy to use. One of the neighbors has 6 off them running with two different crews. I'd imagine the more qualified help is baling, so having easy to use rakes is a big deal.

The dirt, the markets, fields, etc all change things. Just have to find what works for you. The fields we have at the northern end of the valley in the white alkali dirt (where gophers are the worst since the ground rarely gets fumigated) is like chalk. It really shows in the hay. It makes for a much different experience than 5 miles south. If all my ground was like it, I'd probably only run Kuhn rakes. I'd imagine you've got lots of your own unique conditions...

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)