AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hydraulic basket rake verses a Darf wheel rake. A long post.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

hesston8465a
Posted 8/28/2014 22:12 (#4044109)
Subject: Hydraulic basket rake verses a Darf wheel rake. A long post.

Parsons Kansas
I currently have a JD700 hydraulic basket rake that I pull with a JD4430.Rake has been updated with the new style bearings that Vermeer now offers on their new rake but the rake is still tired and been over lots of acres.

4430 pulls it fine except the hyd oil gets awful hot. I have rerouted the return oil into the side of the remote like was discussed on here a few months ago and that seemed to help but still gets awful hot to the touch. I want to put a guage in the return oil line and just see how hot it really is. There are no plans to update tractors anytime soon.

I've been looking at a different rake. It won't be a brand new one just a new to me one. Really like the looks of a Twinstar and an Allen rake. Buddy of mine suggested a Darf wheel rake after looking at one at a dealership while on his way out to see his son at college. Have never seen a Darf rake in person. I have looked at a new Twinstar sitting on a lot waiting to be delivered to the buyer. Looked at an older Allen 8827

that was for sale but was in pretty rough shape, but still gave me the overall "big picture" of what they are about. None of these rakes are really available in my area locally. If I wanted one I would have to travel a ways to get one.

Now I must say I am not the biggest fan of a wheel rake! The ones I have seen look awful flimsy. But remember I've never seen a Darf in person.

I bale about 100 acres of alfalfa which are smooth fields. About 400 acres of prairie hay that most every acre is rough. Probably only run about 5mph or so. Can't hardly stay in the tractor if going any faster and I refuse to go faster and tear up my equipment, just not worth it to me.

With a wheel rake that would elimante my hot oil problem. But a wheel rake just seems like a step backwards from a hyd rake even with my old JD700.

From what the Twinstar dealer has told me that with my 15' mower I need a rake that will rake 25' minimum.

My question is has anyone ever went from a hyd rake to a wheel rake and been sorry they did so? Or from a wheel rake to a basket rake?

Thanks for all the help. Darren
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)