AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How would you respond to this?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 8/20/2014 02:37 (#4027888 - in reply to #4027760)
Subject: RE: How would you respond to this?

West Union, Illinois

To my organic friends I am one of those chemical farmers that are the problem with agriculture today.  I was an early adopter of Roundup Ready technology.  I plant multi-trait corn and GMO soybeans

However to my friends who are just as gung-ho anti-organic I'm another one of those tree huggers. I have questioned the use of various chemicals and technologies and admit to having organic food products in my house.

I have concerns about glyphosate ... just as I have concerns about anything we use to grow crops. Is there a long term unexpected consequence?  I think we need to keep an open mind to it.  If there are we need to address them.

I guess I'm getting old.  I can remember 40+ years ago spending almost any spare moment in June on a row crop cultivator.  I remember not having problems with water hemp and various other weeds.  But I also remember wild sweet potato vines so bad you couldn't walk down the row, giant ragweed so tall you couldn't see over them in a 4586, ragweeds and velvetleaf so bad in soybeans you debated if it was worth combining them.

I could go back to conventional non-GMO farming.  I'm just not too excited about the prospect.

We need to question.  Continually.  But we also need to question with an open mind, not in an attempt to prove what we already believe.  It's like I told a Junior High Sunday School class one time.  We're going to study the Bible and see what we have to change in our lives to make them fit it, not to prove what we already think.

The same goes for this debate. The difficulty is the other side isn't playing by those rules. If you are going to engage them make sure your facts are straight.  Don't over-react and start YELLING AND SCREAMING.  Make sure your spelling and grammar are correct. And be willing to listen to them and admit they are correct when they are.

Keep in mind a couple things.  Arguing with a person whose mind is made up is like wrestling a pig

And even if you are right you won't win

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)