AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Semi Truck Licensing for CDL'd and non CDL'd drivers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

00rooster
Posted 4/29/2014 12:43 (#3843761 - in reply to #3843642)
Subject: RE: Semi Truck Licensing for CDL'd and non CDL'd drivers

I agree, but I also don't think this promotes highway safety. Had a neighbor confess to me that he just learned after 3 years of grinding gears that you don't use a clutch to shift. I don't imagine he knows how to adjust his brakes either. All the tests you have to take to get a CDL is just about making sure that you have a simple understanding of how things on the machine works and can operate with some proficiency....it ain't about making you a better driver. You want a good laugh? watch one trying to back up using only their mirrors.

I had to retake my CDL exam after losing mine to a stupid DWI conviction...I barely passed the driving test because I didn't drive like it says in the manual. the instructor admitted it was the most enjoyable check ride he'd ever been on, since I wasn't bucking and jerking him around, but according to the manual I was doing it all wrong. Yet I've never driven a truck off the road, nor been in an accident that was my fault or avoidable in my life. However, if I bought a truck and just took it on the road without any training at all...that would have been scary.

I wouldn't be against a limited license short of a CDL that would be an endorsement on a std license for simply attending a one-time class of a few hours to familiarize oneself with the workings of one. Especially when you consider they don't allow us to buy and apply chemicals without a license...but apparently they trust us to drive down the road in a tractor-trailer without one. Maybe I shouldn't give them ideas.

Stunned and amazed...I still am...

Edited by 00rooster 4/29/2014 12:49
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)