AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Exercise
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Chimel
Posted 4/18/2014 02:06 (#3822850 - in reply to #3822211)
Subject: RE: Exercise

I haven't done much exercise, mostly walking, but that's because I was too unfit to even try it.
Still, I managed to lose 66 pounds today since October, that was almost exclusively through portion control and a readjustment in diet, like regular light meals and much less fried/grilled meat. I intend to go back on running and riding the bike as I used to.
I wouldn't suggest anything intensive to lose weight, but maybe that'd work for you. The first ten pounds are just water and easy to lose, the next pounds are still mostly water but take a longer commitment to lose. You might want to kick-start your diet with a 2-week drastic diet with no processed food, no wheat and maybe even no dairy: It gives result fast, so that's encoguraging to go on with a more regular long term diet, and it also limits in time the number of food you give up, 2 weeks is easily manageable.
Still, don't go back to processed food or dining out, learn to cook from scratch instead.

I have introduced raw vegetables back in my diet, which I had kind of given up since store bought carrots and tomatoes really taste disgusting here. No farmers market nearby, so basically that means expensive Whole Foods vegetables if you don't grow your own, and they're great for meat and seafood too.

Eat almost unlimited green salad: They don't add calories but fill the stomach satisfactorily, and they make a great basis for mixed salads, as you can add chopped vegetables or fruits like tomato, boiled green beans, bellpepper, celery or apples, or grated carrots, a boiled egg, a few olives, seeds and nuts, even lean chicken or tuna.
Dressing for salad does not come in a bottle either, it's one spoon of vinegar for three spoons of oil, barely any salt, and ground pepper. Add Dijon or whole grain mustard for a change, replace the oil with yogurt and mint or dill sometimes, depending on the kind of salad (great with cucumbers) and the vinegar with fresh lemon juice (great with carrots). Actually, they don't sell vinegar at the store, only fast processed acetic acid, so it can make it hard to cook from scratch as you can't find the basic ingredients to cook. Vinegar means sour wine ("vin aigre" in French), and it's supposed to be aged sour wine. You can either make your own, it's very easy with a vinegar crock, you just need to let it turn sour, or purchase some specialty aged vinegar like Banyuls vinegar. I mostly get balsamic vinegar these days, even though it's still mostly fast processed acetic acid, but at least it has some flavor on top. Real aged balsamic vinegar is more like a syrup and not priced for your daily salads either... I bought Banyuls vinegar a couple of times from Amazon, it's not like I need much for salad dressing, so the high price was acceptable. I almost always add a clove of pressed garlic to my salads too. I figure that since it's a medicinal herb, one clove of raw garlic a day can do only good. You can try very thinly sliced or cubed shallots, they boost dressing like nothing else.

Try new vegetables such as grated raw red beets, these are juicy and delicious with some earthly flavor, even the store bought ones. Discover spices and herbs to expand your range of food experience, and whole grains like barley, rice, millet or quinoa. The 3 latter are gluten-free if that's important. You can for instance cook your own porridge of oats, millet, buckwheat or even corn grits for breakfast instead of processed cereals. Try lentils, split peas and different dry beans to replace meat protein from time to time. Cook more fish, a whole trout is very easy to pan fry and is so much more flavorful than fillets (processed breaded fish is a no go for dieting.) Always mix soups rather than having cubed vegetables in a broth, because it fills the stomach more satisfactorily. Slow-cooked stews are great too because a little meat goes a long way. I bought ham and corned beef on sale after the holidays and St. Patrick's days, these are excellent for stews and soups. Replace potatoes with parsnips for less starch, add swedes, turnips, cabbage and leeks to the stew for extra flavor.

Play with food and make it fun. Subscribe to the Youtube channel Food Wishes for simple recipes.
Just a few tracks for you to explore...
Dr. Oz is certainly not one of these tracks, although sandwich bread is definitely something you want to avoid. I found out that whenever I have bread at home, even a dietetically better artisan sourdough whole grain bread, I always end up eating more of it than I should, but worse, I almost always eat it with fatty food such as butter or (and) cheese and ham, rarely on its own to sauce the plate or soak up soup as it was intended to! ;) So I rarely buy it anymore.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)