AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Exercise
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Chimel
Posted 4/18/2014 17:43 (#3823844 - in reply to #3823695)
Subject: RE: Exercise

Cornstalk1 - 4/18/2014 13:33
Processed foods, Bread, Beer, Pop, Concentrated orange juice, French fries, all work against you.
Also did you know that margarine was originally made for weight gain in turkey rations.

Well I never liked processed food much to begin with, I never drink soda with a meal, and I enjoy cooking, so that part was not hard on me, but I still ate far too much, and rich foods too, and let me down this way.

Nope, I didn't know about that fact about raising turkeys, but it makes sense, I used to put blocks of fat with seeds and grains embedded on strings in cold winters for song birds to survive.

No turkeys in sight when margarine was first invented in France at the request of Napoleon for a cheaper replacement of butter that also had long duration storage properties. The first product named "margarine" in the XIXth century was based on beef tallow. It was replaced over a century ago by vegetable oil, although McDonald's still used blocks of beef tallow for their French fries not so long ago.

I never knew the beef tallow margarine, but my grand-mother and mother used cubic blocks of Astra vegetable margarine for cooking, frying and baking, I still remember the name of the brand. That was back when you could also find on the refrigerated shelves lard packaged the same way as butter. Lard in called "saindoux" in French, meaning "sweet fat." I just checked and they still sell it in half pound packages in the French stores, amazing!

Here's how Astra margarine looked like in an ad from the 50s, not sure if the same brand existed in the U.S.

(Astra magarine.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Astra magarine.jpg (66KB - 75 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)