AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Phosphorus in High PH soils
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NE Ridger
Posted 1/7/2014 08:42 (#3582484 - in reply to #3581913)
Subject: Re: Phosphorus in High PH soils

EC Nebraska
I would think that spring wheat would have similar demand curves, looking for available S and N early when mineralization isn't really happening. That's when I like the topdress applications, putting nutrients out as close to crop use as possible. It doesn't take a lot of lbs to bump the growth curve up early. But I don't grow spring wheat myself. I don't know what that might do to lodging, etc.

Your soils are quite different, with your cooler temps you must have a lot less mineralization than we do. Your OM doesn't burn off like ours likes to do. Perhaps that's why your sulfur test levels are high and stable. OM doesn't move with water like sulfates.

Cooler temps would slow down denitrification too, I would think. Have you ever noticed a rotten egg smell when your soils have been saturated for a couple weeks? My old agronomy professor said that was a sure sign your nitrogen was gone. Denitrification is anaerobic bacteria converting NO3 to N2. If they run out of NO3, they'll start converting SO4 to H2S, which give the rotten egg smell. So if you smell that, you know most of your N is gone and your starting to lose S as well.

My ramblings to your daydreams.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)