AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How thick does wheat have to be to maximize yields in the south
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 11/11/2012 23:55 (#2692252 - in reply to #2692036)
Subject: Re: How thick does wheat have to be to maximize yields in the south

Faunsdale, AL
I'll have to get back to you on the size. I'm guessing it is on the large end of the spectrum, so not so good. On the other hand, I believe most every live seed will come up. Most of the acres we've planted already have been done with a set of double disk JD 9300 press wheel drills. All I can say is there are more of those seed covered than if we had disked it in! Compared to that, the 1560 is a precision instrument if I can just get the rate set.

We've go another 300 acres to go and probably should have been spreading and disking on the tilled seedbed, but we've been staying out of the way of the dozers that are clearing scattered trees whick have grown up over the last 25 or 30 years of neglect. This is rented land that we picked up this year and have been chipping away at since early spring.

On early fertilizer, one of the fields planted with the bushel/acre is our lagoon pumping field. The mainline comes up in the middle of that one! It was our best beans even though they were planted late no till behind triticale we took off for grain and didn't get any lagoon water during the growing season. Had a neighbor custom plow some land last spring...........subsoiler encountered main line multiple places as it crossed corn field next door! Anyway, with good fertility and following a good crop of soybeans, I expect there will be good early growth.

Quick calculation if on the large end of the spectrum, 10,000 seed per pound, 13.77 seed per square foot less germ and emergence, so maybe we will be OK.. I need to go back in the morning and put in some check strips before it rains!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)