AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why aren't more acres of corn sidedressed?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ed Winkle
Posted 9/24/2012 21:32 (#2607352 - in reply to #2606820)
Subject: Re: Why aren't more acres of corn sidedressed?

Martinsville, Ohio
My soils really respond to "spoon feeding" and the worst thing I can do is dump a big load on at one time. I broke my rule and did that 2 years ago and raised the best corn that has ever been raised on that farm but my sulfur and other nutrient management made it all work.

I can get by with one shot but I would rather sprinkle it out. The best corn I saw this year in 10,000 miles of scouting had 90-120 lbs of N on it total but low dose foliars on it, something I never believed in but I'm learning.

20 gallons on the planter is the best one thing I ever saw for notill corn, and that little bit of calcium nitrate in a U trough system really makes it shine.

If you have access to a plane, I can show you how to get by with less N and harvest more corn and I do get into NY where my wife is from. Email is good.

Back to your question, All of the Above hits a lot of heads but I've seen too many high yield plots and studied too many soil tests to not sidedress corn. Dad and I learned how with a Gandy box on an Oliver cultivator when I was a little kid in the 50's. Dad often had the best corn in the county and it paid the bills.

Ed
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)