AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Machinery purchases... does it ever stop?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Alberta Pioneer
Posted 6/10/2012 18:26 (#2423500 - in reply to #2423471)
Subject: Re: Machinery purchases... does it ever stop?

Warburg, AB
My perspective is the same but from a different angle. I currently don't farm, but it is my end game. That being said, I'm building up tools and fabrication equipment, etc. that I plan on using. More than 90% of stuff on the list is "need", the rest is "want". Today I just bought a used air compressor to cobble together with my gas-powered wheel barrow compressor so I'll have a nice big non-portable unit for a service trailer (since I don't own land and for the time being makes more sense than equipment for a shop). I'm in the same boat, there is always this little thing for that little thing, and from the sounds of your steiger you are very particular about some things, like myself. That lack of complacency helps me do things proper, the first time, but it also consumes more time and money.

I find tool organization my biggest limiting factor, where to put them, how to anticipate more tools, the list goes on.

I don't have big payments, yet, strictly because most of the small stuff gets paid for my short-term cash flow. Until I get a trailer or piece of land with some from of storage, I'm minimizing the big stuff, unless it's necessary. So far, my compressor and SA200 are the biggest items, and combined I might have $1200 in them both. But, both are in a state of repair, and will require more time and money.

I find the upgrades don't "pay off", they "save". If I do it proper now, I'm saving time and money not doing it again later on. My FIL and grandfather-in-law are both very particular about that, and it's rubbed off on me. I'm quite glad too, because half-assery is how I get most of my deals from kijiji, someone else goofed or can't fix it so I can buy it cheap. All depends on how you look at it.

Bruce
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)