AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Machinery purchases... does it ever stop?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 6/10/2012 18:10 (#2423471)
Subject: Machinery purchases... does it ever stop?

I've been farming for 16 years and I definitely like buying significantly used (sounds better than junk) and building it up and running it until I can afford something a little better. It's seems to me that there is no end to "a little better". Some guys have more discipline or loyalty to their equipment and will go on and on about how good it is, but a few years later I notice even they have traded. In our current world of high prices there are some that are just in the position to afford new or near new iron. Fortunately, with hogs I'm spared the horror of that much depreciation ;) But, if you get to a fairly static acre level where you have a little excess capacity have any of you 'leveled off' with a line of machinery? I'm finding that having the goal of no more payments and a reasonable line of equipment is not easy to accomplish. Admittedly I take on purely elective projects like sticking a 12.7 detroit and 6 spd allison in a st350 and updating cab, but I still find there is stuff in that 'have to buy' category that tends to be a budget killer (auger, cheap dryer, no end to hog stuff, upgrades that 'should' pay off, etc). There is also the 'cant pass up deals' for things like bins, jib cranes, etc that all take even more money to put into use.

I'm hopeful most folks are not quite like me (that would be bad), but do you guys notice it's not easy to find yourselves in a constant state of upgrade, significant repair or big payments?

thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)