AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Computer virus lockup payoff big bucks need advice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 12/27/2010 03:34 (#1508753 - in reply to #1507755)
Subject: Re: Computer virus lockup payoff big bucks need advice

southern MN
You are only doing a partial scan if you are only looking at 4200 items. A full scan will top out over 100,000 on most computers these days.

Most virus scanners have weak spots, and typically can't prevent new viruses but react to those that are known out there. Many people forget about updating their software...

What you got was not exactly a 'virus' but it was the 'Trojain horse' I mentioned, so a virus scanner might not see it. - if they only look for viruses (virui???). To you or me it's the same thing; but actually they work & operate differently, and a pure virus scanner won't notice it....

A Trojain Horse like this often sets itself in 3 different areas of your computer, and are _very_ difficult to remove. They will re-spawn themselves if things aren't done in an exact order. So it is possible the program you used removed only 1 or 2 portions of the Trojain Horse, and it will reappear after you reboot your computer... Just a heads up.

Hope you got rid of it, and good luck in the future. Life is all about learning.

A relative called me years ago, his computer was slow, couldn't hardly work on the internet on dialup. I stopped over, he had 300+ bad things on his computer. Took me a while to clean it out. He'd let his antivirus expire.

A year & 2 months later, he called - his internet provider called him & told him to stop using his computer, because it was putting out so many viruses to other computers - on dialup still.... I looked it over, and with various scans I found over 600 bad things had gotten in again. At that point it was so badly infected, we reformatted & he ended up losing a few programs, but there was no way to clean it up any more. What happened is that his antivirus software expired after a year; he bought another year, but only downloaded it, he didn't _install_ it so his computer was exposed. There were kids in the house that liked to click on things on the internet, so a lot of interesting things were exposed to his computer......

It's a real battle to keep these things at bay. Must be a lot of people out there that try to pry us away from our money. It bugs me when they are successful.

Again, glad you found a scan software that removed it.

--->Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)