AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Quickbooks or Farmworks?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

gfi
Posted 12/22/2009 19:56 (#980453 - in reply to #979727)
Subject: Re: Quickbooks or Farmworks?

Fairfield, Mt
Hi Ed,
I believe you would need to have the EZ-Office module in order to transfer data back and forth from the EZ-500. I a not real keen on how this actually works, but it seems it was developed by FW for this data transfer, but distributed by Trimble. I don't think it was capable of transferring FW planned jobs to the 500, but input lists would transfer, and created and finished jobs on the 500 could be linked into Trac and Site.

You say they've addressed the shortcomings I noted. How are they handling field borders that it seems are constantly changing on my place?
I guess I would have to know just exactly how you handle your field borders. I would have to give you my interpretation on how to handle field borders as they pertain to my place. All my field borders are set up and look like a carbon copy of FSA maps. Mainly because I can keep track of them in the tree just as they are at the FSA office. These boundaries rarely change as I don't like doing the paper work at the FSA office when it comes to certification and such. FSA Farm Number, Tract Number, Field Number mirrors my FW tree Client, Farm, Field.
So my question is; are you necessarily changing your field boundaries from year to year or are you changing your enterprise boundaries from year to year, which may include several seperate fields from year to year? Are you actually changing the field boundaries or the enterprise boundaries?
FW gives you the ability to add another layer under the field called enterprise which is designated to commodity and year and this boundary can be edited to show the true picture of your farm operation for the year. This enterprise boundary is the one that changes from year to year.

Partial jobs within a field: That is just exactly how they show up for field operations. You may have one operation that shows up as several jobs across one field. Each job is seperate and distinct, seperated by date, time, acreage, people, etc. These can be merged into one job if you want. But each of these fragmented jobs and acreage covered should add up to the total acreage of the field. I am guessing that you are referring to the use of Trac/SiteMate in which if you didn't edit the total acreage covered before you marked as finished, it defaulted to the total acres of the field. I think this has been corrected to only carry the actual acres covered across in the sync process.

Funds has seen a big change in how it handles quite a few aspects of transactions. There is no more having to go and delete transactions and re-enter them in order to correct them. You have several options in doing transaction maintenance. You can drill down to the transactions to edit, or if you miskeyed a check amount, there is a (green pencil) transaction maintenance button in the check register next to the transaction in which you can make changes and then choose update to accept the changes.

You can add "Vendors" on the fly. Always have been able to that I can remember. Sure it takes you to another window, but it has to build this list somewhere. When you are in the Vendor drop down box the first option is Add/Edit.

One of the latest additions to Funds capabilities, is that you can import bank statement data. I would imagine if your credit card statement can be extracted in the correct format it can also be imported. I have heard of a few that are able to.

Farm Works does have a list of all the additions and corrections with each version change on the website. Give it a look-see.

Hope I have helped,
Merry Christmas
Stay warm,
Mitch
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)