AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Temps getting colder
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Conan the Farmer
Posted 9/4/2017 00:21 (#6227486 - in reply to #6227430)
Subject: Water Freezes at 32F

South Central Iowa
What are you thanking him for? Do you understand what you are looking at?

Long's graph shows a straight-line of constant freeze at 273K, which is 32F. It then shows the freezing point lowering around 1000 atmospheres. That is pressure 1000 times that of regular atmospheric pressure, the freezing point of water becomes colder; NOT WARMER. That is why I said your water is AT LEAST 32 degrees. 1000 atm is equivalent to about 15,000 psi; that is about what distinguishes a high pressure common rail diesel engine. I doubt your irrigation is running that high of a psi, but even if it was, it would lower the freezing point, not raise it. Then it shows a point at which water cannot exist as a liquid; 1/1000th of sea level atmosphere. That is a situation like outer space where liquid water is not present. It then shows the supercritical areas of H20 where its state is unstable. Frankly, I don't remember that sort of thing and it is pretty irrelevant to anything because it is present above 150,000 psi. That really has nothing to do with whether or not water freezes at 1 atmosphere. We are talking about 1 atm because that is the pressure at which my car believes it can freeze at 37 degrees.

This is a really idiotic thread. I can't believe we have multiple people debating that water does not freeze when it is 32 degrees. I'm not sure what side Long is on here, but we have 3 people, perhaps 4, actively arguing that water freezes at temperatures well above 32 degrees. Seems to be arguing for the sake of arguing.

Edit to add: In light of Ben's evaporative cooling mention, I want to add that we are talking about the temperature at which water freezes. That temperature is 32 degrees. The effect you are seeing is the transfer of heat from the water which lowers its temperature to 32 degrees. This is why I said:

Either way, if your water is freezing, the water temperature is at least 32 degrees.

Edited by Conan the Farmer 9/4/2017 00:51
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)