AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2nd grader having trouble reading
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

NalanZ
Posted 11/14/2015 16:57 (#4896393 - in reply to #4894930)
Subject: RE: 2nd grader having trouble reading

Otago, New Zealand
I can relate to the sort of problems this young guy is facing. I went through similar issues, I couldn't/wouldn't/refused to read, especially out loud, right through primary school, I am now in my late 60s. My mother was a teacher & was at her wits end to get me to read. She even had a mirror on the table to watch my eyes! Some days I would follow the lines, other days danced all around the page. I could read & mainly understand the story but found it difficult to read out load for fear of making a mistake, wrong pronunciation,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, basically shear EMBARRASSMENT !!!!!!!!! I learnt to become very very stubborn & no body could get me to read. I was like this until I left school, now, I can read a book in one sitting & at speed!
My advice is to make sure his confidence is never dented, avoid embarrassment, be very careful that reading is not a chore. Make it FUN. Figure out what topics really interest him & get reading in that topic.
My son who had similar problems with reading as me, had a very clever remedial reading teacher. She figured out that he knew quite a bit about small motors, so she acted dumb about motors & got him to teach her about motors! He had to read to her about them, write her instructions on how to repair etc etc. His confidence soared & reading became a reason for him to impart HIS knowledge.

Protect his confidence, avoid embarrassment, and find an understanding remedial teacher who he likes and who he is happy to be with.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)