AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2nd grader having trouble reading
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

a4t-1600
Posted 11/13/2015 19:49 (#4895146 - in reply to #4894804)
Subject: RE: 2nd grader having trouble reading

Dearfield Co.
I just can't believe you are wasting your time on this forum since you have a 2 year old grandson that can recite a book from memory without it being present----------since that is what recites meaning is. Most 2 year olds can't complete sentences much less memorize a book. If I was you and in this position I would get your grandson a subscription to the Lancet for him so hey can complete his first surgery at the age of 4 or 5.

basic Reading skills start with memorization -----------after all it is nothing more than being able to identify a word and pronounce it to start with. The levels of comprehension of this isn't a total concern at this point it is about the basic skills. Any tutor will start with the basics. The teacher if doing the job they are hired for will go back to the point the troubles begin to try and correct the weakness. And this could very well be because the basic words are still to vague to the child to proceed with the phonics side. At a second grade level its still going to hinge on the weaknesses of the basics. Lots of time dyslexia as well as hearing issues can change how a word sounds/looks to a child making the process difficult . Also a person really needs to read the oxford dictionaries distinction between reciting and reading for the true definition of reciting especially in this case-----------also another thing that must be taken into consideration is how the childs verbal vocabulary is . For the sake of this discussion verbal vocabulary will be the set of spoken words the child recognizes and understands. If his verbal vocabulary is limited so will his written vocabulary which is the words he recognizes in print and understands. I never once said that you could memorize all the words to read a book but come on a second grade level book isn't going to be above the average childs level until they implement the common core reading entirely----- If memorization played no part in any of this the concepts used at the second grade level wouldn't involve rhymes, repitition of words and images to go with the words

Last I knew second graders were subject to reading , written word recognition and phonics. They all are intertwined and a weakness in any one group will make the other difficult.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)