AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Let's talk about wheat...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

hf213
Posted 7/22/2015 13:21 (#4693789 - in reply to #4693093)
Subject: RE: Let's talk about wheat...

Fry beat me to it, but that was going to be my suggestion as well. If you dont make enough to sell at least you would not have to buy any.
Rye will root down a lot more, and is easier to kill off. You still could plant either, and if it does not winter out, spray it off and put it to corn or beans.
I am thinking of going to try and raise it for my own seed this Fall as well.

I had a bunch of volunteer wheat last fall, the wheat I had last summer got hit with 5 1/2" rain right before harvest in 2 hours and made it go down like carpet and it still yielded mid 90's, but fun getting it out, but I had a thick field of vol wheat come late fall, and so I let it go and no tilled beans into 2 fields this way, and am going to do that AGAIN !
I still say the odds of having a wheat year like this year has been or is like, 1 out of 10, maybe it will get a little tighter since every elevator has a VOM tester now, but this year had perfect conditions for making wheat bad, and even then the bushels were still there, its the quality that sucked, and most of that was weather related.
I am going to put some out this Fall, it aint going to fill the bank by any means, but if you want to do some early tillage or cover crop, it gives you a little leverage and break on the rest of your operation, especially if you are max'd out in the Fall. Good time to do some tiling too or landplaning, which we call mental therapy, since all you have to do is drive and not fall asleep.

"Here" I no till in bean stubble and sow around 2.5 bu / acre @ 1.5" deep, give or take, usually spread apply around 150-200 lbs of a wheat blend analysis with sulphur right after planting. Top dress in the Spring around 100-115 lb of actual N by 28% around the end of March 1st part of April, depending on conditions, normally, if the ground conditions are good I roll, that way I aint tied up trying to topdress when wanting to plant corn. Then watch at flowering time on wether you want to spray Prosario and an insecticide ( army worms ), then harvest and collect the check, hahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahah ( there's that sarcasm again, I really am getting quite fluent in it ).
Honestly, I think insurance is a piece of the puzzle, if anything to cover your butt, and I use hail and revenue insurance, and this year I got double whammied and glad I did.
Like I said above, if it does not look good at corn or bean planting time, no till those in and spray it.
We always like to say wheat doesnt like wet feet, so if you can not tile it, at least contour or surface drain it.
If you are going to no till wheat, make sure your combine chaff and straw spread pattern is as far out as you can get it, so you dont get strips when it comes to emergence. Do some trial reading and TALK to buddies and friends to see what works in YOUR area for varieties. Also you need to SCOUT it and BABYSIT it, especially in the Spring.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)