AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What benefits for the consumer does production ag's GMO are there
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Oilfarmer
Posted 4/20/2015 06:43 (#4526598 - in reply to #4524805)
Subject: RE: What benefits for the consumer does production ag's GMO are there

Ravenna Ohio

martin - 4/19/2015 13:14

"they are not being as safe as being promoted".  To me, that is a personal judgement.  I want an unbiased scientific study showing they are not safe.  3rd party study would be preferred. 

As far as not being effective.... if they are not being effective, farmers would not buy them.  If GMO's are not cost-effective, and are more expensive,  farmers will choose more cost-effective methods.  I've got no problem with that.  It becomes a financial decision.  Okay by me. 

As far as cancer, I believe cancer has increased over the last 50 years, maybe more.  I think a portion of that can be attributed to people living longer.  100 years ago, people would die from diseases at an early age, and people didn't live long enough for cancer to play itself out.  As the medical community has battled and overcome those diseases, then the long-term diseases have become more important.  I don't have scientific evidence to prove this, but I believe it is true.    In fact, I believe some cancer rates have begun to decrease.  I would have to look this up, but I think it is true.

I think some of the issues - such as fertility rates, etc - are more a reflection of a change in lifestyle than a change in eating habits.   lifestyle changes such as being more sedentary, more obese, etc.    I don't think that we can eliminate GMO's, keep the lifestyle the same, and expect a change in these diseases.  I just don't think that is going to happen.  

I look at our food supply today and believe it is safer than it was 30 years ago. I believe we are using pesticides that are safer to the farmer and to the consumer, and using less pesticides as a result of GMO's.   I believe the farmer and the consumer are better off with GMO's.

I am not opposed to using GMO's. I do not have a problem if someone does not want to use GMO's.  That is a personal preference.  I just get fired up when someone says that non-GMO's - or organics - are safer without having any unbiased scientific basis to back it up.  So far, you have given me personal opinions without any scientific basis.  And that is all I hear from anyone who is opposed to GMO's.

I agree with Martin. I would also throw in the growing list of products(chemicals) which we use in our homes. And the way we prepare our food now. 

For OP
To seek a direct link for a benefit like taking my heart meds. Not much as I see, except for things like Golden Rice. Indirect, YES. We can use GMO as a tool to protect enviroment as well as protecting the crop itself. That helps ensure a safe food supply to people. 

I am comfortable in my support and use of GMO in food as well as other areas of health protection. To date economic conditions do not sway me to raise products that others might want.   

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)