AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What benefits for the consumer does production ag's GMO are there
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

bigmiker
Posted 4/20/2015 14:53 (#4527481 - in reply to #4523756)
Subject: RE: What benefits for the consumer does production ag's GMO are there

SW Ontario
Northern corn - 4/18/2015 21:18

The sweet corn post was great. When most farmers in here talk of them it's about the benefits to themselves. I realize earworms are not good in sweet corn here I cut the end of and eat. It enables you to plant corn on corn rather then a proper rotation. Do not tell me that it cuts down on spraying. Fungicide and pesticede use is way up over the last decade and besides that an insect will not eat a crop that is proper in nutrition or with a high brix measurement. Im a consumer so why do I want a GMO product any product you can make your best plea with?

Golden rice, high oleic soybeans, and arguably GMO Orange crops are examples of GMO crops with direct benefits to consumers. The first two provide health benefits, while GMO Orange crops are a possible solution to the citrus greening disease which is wiping out citrus crops.

Now that I've answered your question perhaps you could address some concerns I have with your post?
1. Why is corn on corn not a good rotation? I know it is not a rotation by definition, but I have seen were COC was the best option for certain soils.
2. Have you ever considered that the reason pesticide use is way up over the past decade is because of increased prices, increased yields, or more intensive management?
3. Your statement that an insect will not eat a crop that is proper in nutrition or with a high brix measurement is false. I have seen perfectly healthy plants still suffer from insect feeding.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)