AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Phosphorus in High PH soils
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NE Ridger
Posted 1/6/2014 20:23 (#3581209 - in reply to #3580998)
Subject: Re: Phosphorus in High PH soils

EC Nebraska
Sulfate soil tests vary so much that I don't really pay much attention to them. IIRC, there are some I-state studies that show very little correlation between crop response to sulfur and soil sulfur test. That said, you're not in an I-state and you're not "here." Keep that in mind with everything I say, my soils and climates are different than yours. Is that a typical sulfate test value for you? Here, the only time I got tests that high was after applying 100 lbs of 90% S, and 400 lbs AMS. We typically have enough moisture leaching through the soil to take the sulfates down out of the top foot. What's your typical rainfall like? Do you usually get enough leaching to move sulfates down?

The tissue tests say P is sufficient? So phos is not your limiting nutrient. Do one or two other nutrients tend to come back low? Those are likely your limiting factors. Figure out what to do about them first.

You're getting 160 bpa with a shortage of rain? Ummm, you're doing ok in my book. What do you get with good weather!?!

At this point, I'm thinking try your 5 gallon 10-34-0 and watch your tissue tests. You might be overthinking this. If the plant says it's fine and yields fine, what are we trying to fix?

I'm also curious what vailcat was going to say. He's a lot closer to you than I am.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)