AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Economics 101, Beef and Cattle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

BillinKY
Posted 5/4/2021 08:13 (#8986557 - in reply to #8984989)
Subject: RE: Economics 101, Beef and Cattle

Jim, good post, and I agree with most of it. The government can regulate this but in a way that encourages competition. Competition is what built this country. Right now the buy in to play with the big four is impossible. A lot of people laugh at the smaller plants that have tried to open or failed. But if I think I can do it better than you I have the right to try, not the guarantee to succeed. We need more of a can do attitude, and less of the Debbie downers that seem to jump on this type thread. I used to be able to take cattle and hogs to three abattoirs within twenty miles now there is one. There were three packing plants forty miles up the road, killed hogs and cattle, (five, if you added the guy who killed sheep, 100 per year and biggest in KY). Now there is just one hog plant. All these plants that are gone were old and out of date and no one wanted to invest in new upgrades. The slaughter house business has been historically high volume low markup, today due to a lack of facilities and competition it is high margin and volume. Somebody needs to take a piece of that pie not just sit here and bitch about it, or laugh at those that are marketing grass fed, home raised, or and other label you want to put on what you are selling. If you differentiate yourself and can sell, go for it! That is what makes the USA great. The Government should use guidance, not control.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)