AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Economics 101, Beef and Cattle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Gearclash
Posted 5/3/2021 14:12 (#8985188 - in reply to #8985030)
Subject: RE: Economics 101, Beef and Cattle

Sioux County, NWIA
Jim - 5/3/2021 12:34

Ignore the good old boys club and go right to Congress, your representative and senators.  They will respond if enough people contact them.

LOL. [Bitterly] Congress IS the good ol boys club. You can get any number of producers together to complain that you want. The packers have enough money to blow them all away. I was not a big fan of Rush Limbaugh but he was oh so right about ‘follow the money’. Money talks, bs walks.

I’m not disagreeing that the US government should enforce some antitrust action against the packers. But I am under no illusion of just how much headwind there will be. First off is getting enough money and voices together to bend the ears of the Congress critters, and if that is successful, then how to deal with the fact that packers can suppress the domestic prices by importing meat. This is a real thorny problem in my opinion because the packers can argue (and with some grounds) that keeping prices ‘lower’ is in the interest of the retail consumer. The packers can argue that the US live beef producer is not the lowest cost producer globally so why should they pay more for US live cattle. That global competitiveness, or lack thereof, is in my opinion another can of worms . . .
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)