AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

So my friend's elderly mom, early 90s. . .
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

sand85
Posted 3/26/2021 12:56 (#8917230 - in reply to #8917129)
Subject: RE: So my friend's elderly mom, early 90s. . .

C IL

That’s a hard way to live, in a black and white world.  How can you get up to face the day?  Everything must be proven in totality to the nth degree.  How can you ever take medicine or make a food choice?  How can you accept the recommendation of a medical doctor if he or she isn’t aware of all science, everywhere, and is an expert on nuclear fission and the Mariana Trench and how to build a habitat on Mars?

The way we advance knowledge is to accumulate it, slowly, methodically, and propose reasonable extensions as theories which we test.  The greenhouse gas effect we understand.  Applying it on a global scale we understand.  Solar physics we understand in the macro sense, maybe projecting that knowledge forward is less certain.  So we slowly inch out understanding forward, being aware of the pitfalls in our knowledge and the assumptions we have made and always testing them and being open to learning more.

Now, how am I taking an inconsistent position?  Knowing, really knowing, all the details about something is hard.  I would have to read the Paris Climate Accord, read and understand all the summary model projections and economic trade offs inherent in the deal, and be conversant in all the research papers supporting the summary models and also those offering conflicting information to have an opinion worth defending.  

You have offered zero evidence that you have done any of this work but infer you have a strident opinion and that my opinion is wrong/inconstant.  I submit that I have a little factual background knowledge and am not conversant on the specific details and don’t have a terribly strong opinion. Now somehow I am the one taking an inconsistent stance because I previously offered a reasoned and nuanced explanation of my position? 

It’s almost as though you see the world as being a ‘vast left-wing conspiracy, [personally] against you’ because some crazy talking heads spout off information about which they likely don’t have the background to understand and you apparently don’t want to understand and it triggers you.  So instead of getting informed you are just choosing to be as unreasonable as possible and retreat to the next bunker and throw grenades instead of engaging in debate.

That’s your call but it isn’t reasonable or responsible or respectable. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)