AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Eating healthy
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

SpartyMike
Posted 3/10/2021 12:48 (#8883909 - in reply to #8877451)
Subject: RE: Eating healthy

SW Michigan
Beerslayer - 3/7/2021 02:30

King Arthur flour is a great product. So is the flour that we mill on the farm. All of our wheat and barley is cleaned and milled on the farm, it's a great value add.

It's also a great health add. In my opinion and experience, the closer we eat to the way food comes out of the ground the better. Flour for example is typically milled then all the germ and oils are extracted because the oils in the grain will go rancid after milling and won't store well. Whole wheat usually isn't. It's white flour that has had bran added back in for marketing and appearances sake.

If I eat two slices of bread for breakfast made from the grain we grow and mill here, I won't be hungry until noon or 1:00. That's because it's a whole food and my body is getting what it needs. There's never that 10:00 need for a snack. I've gotten out of the habit of even slowing down for a break between breakfast and lunch.

If your diet consists of more than 20% processed foods then there's going to be a health bill for that later. Cooking from scratch is ~not convenient but is less inconvenient than having health problems later. We still get burgers out occasionally, but most food we eat is prepared from scratch with the best ingredients we can buy or grow.

Eating clean is important. I know this isn't a popular opinion here on NAT but pesticide and chemical residues in food are not ~good for you. How to get clean food?

Google search "Clean 15 Dirty Dozen". The Clean 15 is a list of foods that typically have little or no chemical residues though conventionally grown. Dirty Dozen lists the top 12 foods that are most healthy organically grown.

My Dad never met a pesticide or herbicide he didn't think was the best idea ever and thought I was an idiot for thinking otherwise. Back in the 70s we used to inject these Stilbestrol pellets into the base of the cartilage of the steers ears, was supposed to add 3-5% to the finish weight. Turns out later that it was very very bad for the people eating those steers. Like us. Watching him die from Leukemia wasn't fun. Thinking to avoid that path if possible.
My dad (86) and I recently were discussing how when I was young we use to mix the chemicals in with our hands and think how good they smelled..believe it or not!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)