AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Adding a gate in the middle of straight run of fence
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

HuskerJ
Posted 2/25/2021 08:27 (#8856951 - in reply to #8856128)
Subject: RE: Adding a gate in the middle of straight run of fence

East of Broken Bow
If there is no big hurry to get it done, as in if taking a couple days doesn't matter, here is what I'd do, assuming you want it done right.
First, I would dig, set, and brace the corners, the BEST way is to use sackrete around the posts, pour some water down around the post, and let it sit a couple days before proceding. Remember if they break/rot of, then it's a real bugger to replace them. Otherwise, well set double braces work good, if your soil is firm.
Once corners are set good, then cut and tie the wire to the corners. What I like to do with woven wire, in a situation like that, assuming the fence is tight, is to cut and tie one wire at a time. Cut off enough stays (the vertical wires), and cut the wire, so that you can tighten it, and tie it to the corner post. Then do this with the next wire, and so on. By doing one wire at a time, the fence stays tight. If the fence is a little bit loose, you can put a post on one side of the fence, in the middle of the gate, and hook a chain to it (top and bottom), and tug on the post, to tighten the fence, by basically pulling the fence into a V shape, through the gate opening.
If you really want it to stay tight, wrap one wire clockwise around the corner, the next one counter clockwise, and so on. Wrapping them all the same direction, will cause the post to rotate over time, and loosen the fence. Having half the wires wrapped one way, and half the other, cancels out this tendency.
Lastly, if you are using hinged pipe gates, consider two gates that meet in the middle. The weight of the gates, helps counteract the pull of the fence. The fence stays tight, and the gates don't sag.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)