AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fallow and Crop Rotation Question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

swne
Posted 2/20/2021 16:55 (#8847096 - in reply to #8846927)
Subject: RE: Fallow and Crop Rotation Question

Cambridge, southwestern Nebraska
I've been going 3-4 years of corn then back to fallow. I really like 2 years of corn after a year of wheat. Just plant between the rows. Wheat stubble is still in tact the second year. Seems to disappear after that. Longer rotations of corn makes us need more root worm control either through insecticide or Stax corn which either one adds to costs and our yields are generally lower then the first year or two.
I've tried oats instead of fallow then no-till wheat into oat stubble. Had some success but seems to ding the wheat a lot of years and we don't have a real good market for oats.
Hoping to get into a fallow, winter wheat, corn, corn, spring wheat, corn, corn, fallow rotation. So fallow once in 7 years. Spring wheat is still kind of experimental here.
Grain sorghum could be in the mix somewhere as well as soybeans but I prefer neither one at this time. We're just kind of set up better for corn and wheat.
I don't have livestock but have a neighbor that instead of fallow he grows a forage crop, harvests it off later summer then lets that grow back to provide cover for the next year of corn. That has possibilities if you want to do a forage crop. He will basically never fallow.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)