AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Suggestions for keeping stock tanks thawed?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 2/14/2021 20:06 (#8832800 - in reply to #8832610)
Subject: RE: Suggestions for keeping stock tanks thawed?

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
Only way to keep water from freezing in cold is to have water moving or have it heated from ground sink or a heat source. So if running water into above ground stock tanks you need to plumb a over flow and let water run. All our stock tanks on desert country use a overflow to a dirt pond. Lot cheaper to pay pump costs than to fight froze water with a float system. A lot of stock tanks we use I plumb a sprinkler nozzle for outlet of water into the tank. I use a 9/64" nozzle it will allow a lot of water and keep movement very violent to keep tank from freezing.

If you are running a ball and float you need to drill and tap a small hole behind plunger body to to keep water moving after ball floats off. That stream of water needs to directed to the ball to keep it free in non use times. The you can install a threaded screw in that hole for regular times. I've also heard of some guys taking a 5 gallon propane tank and putting hose into stock tank with a weighted holder under float. Then just turning valve on just enough to burp a few bubbles up to keep float open. They tell me the tank last quite a while when you get it figured out. I've never tried it, even a air line would work as well. I've been going to try it just to figure a office out.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)