AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Land O' Lakes and Mircosoft want your Carbon
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

MidNight Mapper
Posted 2/4/2021 11:24 (#8806189 - in reply to #8806142)
Subject: RE: Land O' Lakes and Mircosoft want your Carbon

Colorado and Oz

More likely the cost of energy will continue to shift higher as the externalities are increasingly captured by carbon markets.

I will also speculate that if you can figure out how covers can fill some of the N-gap, you might also be able to gain avoidance of NO2 fugitive emissons?

If you loose one mtNO2 as fugitive emissions, it isn't a laughing matter. 

Wasting a single mtNO2 by leakage is equal to 298 mtCO2e global healting effects.  If you could document this sort of NO2 savings, aka avoidance in carbon trade, that signals $5900/mtNO2 fugitive emissions lost?

CO2 EQUIVALENTS

One mtSOC converts to 3.67mtCO2e.

CO2 Emissions convert all greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions into CO2 equivalents so they can be compared.

Each greenhouse gas (GHG) has a different global warming potential (GWP) and persists for a different length of time in the atmosphere.

The three main AGGIE greenhouse gases (along with water vapour) and their 20-year global warming potential (GWP) compared to carbon dioxide are:

1 x – carbon dioxide (CO2)  NOTE: Any carbon dioxide added to the atmosphere will hang around for a long time: between 300 to 1,000 years. All this time, it will be contributing to trapping heat and warming the atmosphere.

84 x – methane (CH4) – I.e. Releasing 1 kg of CH4 into the atmosphere is about equivalent to releasing 84 kg of CO2. Methane’s 100-year GWP is about 28x CO2 – but it only persists in the atmosphere for a little more than a decade. The 100-year GWP is used to derive CO2e.

298 x – nitrous oxide (N2O) – I.e. Releasing 1 kg of N2O into the atmosphere is about equivalent to releasing about 298 kg of  CO2. Nitrous oxide persists in the atmosphere for more than a century. It’s 20-year and 100-year GWP are basically the same.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)