AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

before i buy QuickBooks, is there something better?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

tigger
Posted 1/25/2021 21:16 (#8781897 - in reply to #8781565)
Subject: RE: before i buy QuickBooks, is there something better?

Iowa
My system might not be a perfect fit for you in the sense that I typically make my plans for the following year before the end of the fiscal year ending on December 31 and plug them into the spreadsheet. All of the crop inputs for the following year in each field are ordered and generally prepaid by then, and about 90% of crop delivery dates are scheduled a year to 18 months in advance (specialty contracts), so there are not a lot of in season adjustments other than maybe an unplanned fungicide application. There are generally very few deviations from the plan. It's pretty much set in stone unless we have some sort of natural disaster. Yield and market prices are about the only things that normally get some in season adjustments unless I make some unplanned capital asset purchases. My livestock production is also mostly set in stone as well with regular delivery dates of weaned pigs in consistent numbers. Actual results normally come out very close to the projections. In other words, my crop, livestock, and whole farm budgets don't really change much in season. The only difference usually only amounts to how closely the actual application rates of inputs match the target rates. The pluses and minuses mostly balance each other out.

I've got Ag Leader GPS stuff for the planter and combine, but none of that feeds directly into my accounting spreadsheet. Data I get from my Ag leader stuff is plugged into the spreadsheet, but it is adjusted to match certified acres, actual purchases, settlement sheets, and/or bin measurements. I got the impression Farmworks used to more closely & seamlessly incorporate GPS data into their system. Granular might be doing something like that as well. I don't really know exactly how they do it. My spreadsheet is more strictly actual dollars and cents like the bank statements. My main cash flow BUDGET portion of the spreadsheet has the projections plugged into it early in January. A cash flow STATEMENT is all zeros on January 1st and fills in automatically with monthly totals sourced from the general ledger as the year progresses. Just below the cash flow budget and statement, the difference between the two is automatically calculated and displayed on a monthly basis as the year progresses. I have not really had a need for more than that, so that's all I did with it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)