AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kind of sad
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

jwal10
Posted 12/20/2020 11:27 (#8684435 - in reply to #8684271)
Subject: RE: Kind of sad

Western Oregon
We didn't have much growing up but my parents always made sure we had food. We grew it in the garden and pastures. I helped with a Free Produce giveaway for years, every Friday afternoon. It was leftover from a food box program. We hauled it, sorted it and then gave it away. This little town was called a food desert, miles away from stores. People would say, "I don't know how to cook that", so another program was started through OSU to educate people, a new 1 page instruction each week on how to use it and a few recipes. Also someone to make it and pass out samples. We could haul double what we could give away and yet the mayor and others are always complaining about the school kids going hungry. They would walk right by us, walking to the little store and grab and pay for junk, when we had bananas, apples, oranges, for free. Every kid can have 3 meals a day from the school, no questions asked but 1/2 don't yet complain that the store doesn't have their favorite drink or junk food. It is priorities and they really are not that hungry yet. The ones that are hungry is because an adult is not being adult and attending to their children". I really feel sorry for those. All through this mess, their are people feeding the kids "sack school lunches" from in front of the fire hall made in the school cafeteria but only about 1/4 of the kids do it. Breakfast and lunch at 10, evening meal at 4:30. They even drove around in a brand new 2020 school district SUV delivering them. Priorities....James
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)