AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Steiger 10 Speed Transmission
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Where Can I find?????Message format

patty_p
Posted 12/16/2020 11:30 (#8674973 - in reply to #8647732)
Subject: RE: Steiger 10 Speed Transmission

SE Indiana
Sorry for the delay. It's been hectic around here.

Thanks for all the replies!

I do have the service manual and I have thought about pulling it and rebuilding it myself. I'm fairly confident I can make the tools shown in the manual. I've watched several rebuild videos on youtube, although none of them are for the Spicer. But, it gives me an idea of what to expect.

If I do rebuild it, I don't think I want to mess with dropping the trans through the bottom of the tractor. I think I'll remove the hood/radiator/etc and pull the engine and trans as one piece. That is, if my old Massey 2500 forklift will decide to run.

I was really hoping there was another 10 speed that I could replace the Spicer with. A trans that is much more readily available. But I'd have to know my input shaft size and length. And then I'd have to find an output yoke that also has a flange on it to make the brake rotor work. That might be just as much work as rebuilding the old Spicer.

On a side note, I may have the option to buy a Wildcat III that doesn't run with about 2500 hours on it. I'd use it for some of the parts even though it's a smaller machine. The trans is hopefully good. And I'd swap out my 24.5-32's for the 18.4-34's off the Wildcat. They're much cheaper to replace. We'll see how cheap it goes. It's also about 3 hours away.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)